Friday, May 11, 2007

A Place For All Things Ice Hockey


I grew up with sports as a central focus in my life. Varsity football in the fall, varsity basketball in the winter, and track in the spring. Though I grew up in Wyoming, where the saying goes something like “colder than a witch’s breast in an iron bra”, there was no ice hockey (at least not in the early eighties). The closest I ever came to playing hockey was floor hockey in P.E., lasting for a couple of weeks each year.

Thing is, I loved it. Of course it involved no skating (which was good for me, because as a tight end and basketball forward, I felt more comfortable with my feet guiding me across terra firma)---but what it (and hockey in general) did involve was hand-eye coordination, teamwork, great game flow, and---in real ice hockey---bone-crushing hits.

Still, I knew not what I was missing. Now flash forward twenty-four years or so. My son, who just turned 16, is an ice hockey player.

Now I did not choose the sport for him, because frankly, as much as I enjoyed floor hockey in high school, to me the “real” sports were still American-style football and basketball---not to mention the fact that my son, who’s now already 6’ 3” and 190 pounds, was always a prototype build for either aforementioned sport. No, he chose it. But I find it ironic, because watching him play, and being a huge hockey fan now, I find it’s all I watch, and I have said many times, could I go back in time, and were the sport available, it’s the only sport I ever would have played.

Hockey has it all, aside from the same levels of popularity (which is ever changing). In fact, my old hometown in Wyoming even has a youth hockey program.

So this site, while it may have a flavorful blend of my own (and my son’s) experiences in ice hockey, is mostly dedicated to furthering the love and popularity of the world’s greatest sport.

Hopefully this is a site where, as it evolves, you can find a lot of useful links, reviews, information, and even some insights and anecdotes. If you’ve got a hockey story to share, links you'd like to see, or a comment to make, all are welcome here. My only request is that you be respectful and if you don’t like hockey, that’s cool---just surf somewhere else. This is a place where hockey is lived and breathed.

This is Guthrie Home Ice.

The puck has dropped.





No comments: